Carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE) is a superbug now responsible for two deaths in Los Angeles. What happened?
One unnamed 18-year-old patient infected by the contaminated instrument is suing Olympus Corporation, the manufacturer of the endoscope.
“It’s just a terrifying thing. There were so many people exposed both at UCLA and potentially around the country. We hope we can help put a stop to this. If this can happen at one of the world’s leading hospitals, UCLA Ronald Reagan, it can happen anywhere,” Kevin Boyle, attorney for the plaintiff, said.