Rugby players infected with life threatening superbug from sharing towels and ice-baths - Telegraph

Sportsmen and women are being warned against sharing towels and ice baths after scientists investigating an outbreak of boils found potentially life threatening superbugs in an investigation at a rugby club.

The bug, called PVL-MSSA usually causes skin infections but can lead to the flesh eating necrotising fasciitis and can be fatal.

The full name is Methicillin Sensitive Staphylococcus aureus (MSSA) which produces a toxin known as Panton-Valentine Leukocidin (PVL) and it is difficult to treat with antibiotics.

The findings are being presented at the Public Health England conference at Warwick University this week.